Our heart pumps oxygenated blood in to blood vessels called arteries which carry the pure blood to all parts of our body. When blood pushes against the arterial walls while traveling, a pressure is generated, called blood pressure. High BP may be classified in to primary hypertension and secondary hypertension. Primary hypertension occurs due to no specific cause. Secondary hypertension occurs due to some underlying disease.
Causes of High BP
1. Overweight 2. Aging 3. Genetic grounds 4. Alcohol abuse 5. Sodium or salt sensitivity 6. Smoking 7. Caffeine intake 8. Emotional stress 9. Medications like contraceptive pills, diet pills, steroids etc. 10. Kidney disease 11. Adrenal gland disease 12. Narrowing of arteries.
Symptoms of High BP
1. Headaches 2. Dizziness 3. Nose bleeding 4. Fatigue 5. Blurred vision 6. Sleepiness 7. Shortness of breath 8. Restlessness 9. Flushed face 10. Impaired memory
Remedies for Controlling High BP Naturally
1. One should stop smoking completely. Smoking damages blood vessels and hardens the arteries. A person who smokes is more prone to cardiovascular diseases and arteriosclerosis. In other words, high blood pressure worsens with smoking.
2. One should try to reduce weight. Most obese people have high blood pressure. Obesity can be controlled by cutting down on daily calorie consumption, avoiding chocolates and fatty junk food, doing calorie burning free hand exercises daily.
3. Reduction in salt intake can reduce blood pressure. One has to carefully read food labels and select food products with low sodium content. It is advisable not to consume more than 2000 milligrams of salt or one teaspoon salt per day.
4. Fresh fruits and vegetables should be included in diet. Meat consumption is to be reduced. Food rich in cholesterol and saturated fats should be strictly avoided. Cholesterol also leads to arteriosclerosis. Often high BP patients are asked to take potassium-rich food items, for potassium regulates pressure effectively. Food items like watermelons, bananas, oranges, potato, spinach etc contain high amounts of potassium.
5. Caffeine causes rise in BP, and thus it has to be checked. Coffee, tea, sodas that are rich in caffeine should be taken only in modest amounts.
6. Lowering stress can lower blood pressure. Practicing yoga, breathing exercises, extra-curricular activities, listening to music can reduce stress and allow one to be happy in life.
7. Exercises are essential for those with high blood pressure. 30 minutes of work-out daily is very necessary. Aerobic exercises, brisk walks and jogging can be done
8. Alcohol consumption should strictly be cut down.
9. Drinking plenty of water improves blood circulation to a large extent. One should drink good quantity of water to allow smooth flow of blood through blood vessels. This lowers BP.
10. Herbal supplement Stresx capsule is also very beneficial in lowering high BP and maintaining healthy blood pressure.